Hurtigruten Group is the world’s leading adventure travel group, offering unique small-ship and
land-based adventures from pole to pole. We take our guests to the most spectacular areas on
the planet, offering a mix of pristine wilderness and visits to genuine local communities
Hurtigruten Group is revolutionising the travel industry’s approach to sustainability, allowing us to
offer authentic local experiences while leaving a footprint we are proud of — both in nature and
with the communities we visit.
We are now embarking on an entirely new kind of expedition; a digital product revolution to keep
us at the disruptive edge of the industry.
Our mission and passion is simple: be the global leader in inspirational adventure travel
and build world class product and engineering teams.
Build the world's leading adventure travel platform that creates a world-leading experience for
our guests and enables Hurtigruten Expedition's ambitious growth targets.
The first line support in the land organisation for all our expedition team members- a manager
that can motivate and guide our team of Expedition Leaders, lecturers and field guides and take
a leading role in operations and product implementation
Academic and professional qualifications
● 3+ years of experience in remote regions
● Familiar with environmental and operational challenges and requirements for operations
in polar and nonpolar regions.
● Bachelors’ degree or equivalent life experience in the field
● 5+ years leadership experience in an operating (travel) company
● 5+ years of experience in expedition cruise operations
● Knowledge and previous involvement with either |AATO or AECO
● Experience of writing and implementing operational procedures
● Some land side management experience of teams with 5+ members
Key Personal Attributes:
● Initiates action, drives activity and takes ownership for area of responsibility
● Establishes clear cause and effect of difficult problems. Thinks critically and open to new
● Listens, consults and communicates proactively
● Challenges others to think differently. An independent thinker who speaks out. Creates
space to enable innovation in a no blame environment
● Sets challenging goals, highly focused on driving efficiency. Delegates and empowers
effectively, prepared to make tough calls on priorities.
● Can influence at the level of operation and direct improvement of product.
● Focus on guest needs and satisfaction when conducting product and quality audits and
assessments of expedition product.
● Be able to balance the needs of short-term priorities and long-term planning.
● Understand how to navigate the broader Hurtigruten effectively, involving other business
areas in a collaborative and purposeful manner to gain support and buy-in for own
● Be strong representatives and advocates of the culture and lead their teams in a
committed, inspiring and ethical manner. Also bring a sustainability mindset into own
● Fundamentally buy into the HRX mission and purpose and belief that significant growth is
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities:
● Respond to daily operational issues that occur in our expedition teams across the global
● Oversee development and management of all members of the expedition teams.
● Assist with the staffing process of expedition team members, identify needs and lead the
process for hiring permanent expedition team members together with HR and staffing
● Make commercial judgements and optimize how shore operations and expedition teams
● Manage and ensure that Hurtigruten follows guidelines, rules and regulations during
● Assist if needed the permitting processes for areas we sail in on behalf of the Expedition
● Quality assure internal and external communication on Expedition Teams
● Oversee all shipside operations and activities delivered by Hurtigruten.
● Liaison and assist shoreside operations and activities delivered by Hurtigruten Expedition
Department and related topics in cooperation with other departments. Securing the
● Assist in mapping out landing sites and shore activities.
● Lead Standard Operating Procedures within company quality assurance system.
● Undertake travel as and when required to our Expedition vessels and destinations
Play your part
Inspire the Adventure
Make tomorrow better
The undisputed global leader in sustainable inspirational adventure travel — a catalyst for change towards a greener travel industry. Formed in 1893, Hurtigruten Group is the world’s leading adventure travel group. We have 2,400+ employees worldwide, representing more than 50 nationalities. They form part of three main business Units — Hurtigruten Expeditions, Hurtigruten Coastal Express and Hurtigruten Svalbard — which offer unique small-ship and land-based adventures from pole-to-pole.
At Hurtigruten Expeditions, we sail guests on adventures to more than 250 destinations across 30+ countries. Through the experience of exploration, we are changing people’s perspectives on what adventure travel looks like while impacting the lives of millions of people.
As a Group, we are revolutionising the travel industry’s approach to sustainability through a number of vital initiatives to protect the world we explore.
Single-use plastic banHurtigruten was the first major travel company to have removed single-use plastic from its entire fleet and our hotels.
Hybrid Explorer shipsHurtigruten has two hybrid-electric powered expedition cruise ships that offer a 20% reduction of fuel consumption.
Beach cleanupsHurtigruten Expedition Teams encourage guests to take part in beach clean-ups, which results in several metric tonnes of trash every year being removed.
Hurtigruten FoundationThe Foundation specialises in the conservation of endangered species, fighting against marine and plastic pollution.