Are you ready for the next step in your career? Do you want a role where your GIS expertise is truly recognised and you get to take on real responsibility?
Sword Services Greece S.A. (Athens) is looking for a Web Cartographer! You have an amazing opportunity to work in a multinational fast-paced environment, in an IT company, offering services to most of the European Commission Institutions and European Agencies through multi-year contracts.
You will have the chance to join the newly established GIS team in Athens, to work closely with other competent GIS professionals from other countries and to contribute with your knowledge and experience in the implementation of highly visible and critical GIS projects of the European Union.
You need to have a demonstrated track record of working as a cartographer or in a role with similar tasks in GIS projects through relevant workplace experience.
What you will do...
- Cartography and geospatial data visualisation : creation of maps and all derived visualisations related to the spatial dimension and spatial relations between entities. Specification of the visualisation purpose, identification of relevant input data, transformation of input data (filtering, projection, clipping, generalisation, format change, integration, etc.). Selection and implementation of relevant cartographic design techniques. Implementation of cartographic products that cover communication and data exploration processes with the production of interactive on-demand mapping tools. Production of web maps. Design and deployment of web map services following standard practices and tools in web mapping. Design of cartographic styles according to design rules.
- Geospatial data management : creating, collecting, updating, upgrading and enriching geospatial datasets as well as processing these data with dedicated IT tools. Capture, define and formalise new geospatial datasets. Check them against target specifications. Implement transformation and data cleansing processes. Compare and integrate various data sources to meet the requirements of the target product. Develop semi or fully automated processes, from data retrieval to dissemination to end users. Create documentation for both processes and products, including data structures as UML class diagrams and information on quality elements.
- Web services development : development and processing of geospatial datasets for on-line dissemination using machine-to-machine communication, as well as the deployment of geoprocessing as web services. It covers the service specification design based on user needs. The task also includes the selection of the web service technology and infrastructure and its deployment.
- Software and process development : production, maintenance and evolution of software, scripts, libraries, programs and code related to various activities, such as geospatial data management, spatial analysis, cartography and map production with high level of automation and reproducibility. Development of stand-alone tools, Graphical User Interfaces and deployment of existing GIS processes as web services. Drafting technical documentation.
- Oral and written communication : drafting inventories of user requirements, technical specifications and other technical reports, papers and presentations, public speaking for training or user support, internal and external meetings and workshops.
What is your education and experience...
- University degree in Science, Geography, Cartography, Information Technology, Engineering or related subject
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience in web mapping development
- Experience with open and proprietary GIS tools is desirable
- Good knowledge of GIS data management operations for web dissemination such as data collection, update, preparation, generalization, tilling, indexing and web service deployment
- Good knowledge of web mapping system design principles and technologies
- Good knowledge of cartographic design principles and tools for on-line mapping. This could include knowledge in interactive and real-time cartography or knowledge in storymap design.
- Knowledge of spatial analysis methodologies such as computational geometry, network analysis, geostatistics, spatial modelling and simulation, image processing, photogrammetry, remote sensing data analysis, geomorphometry and risk assessment
- Knowledge of geospatial database technologies, spatial database design (as UML class diagrams) and administration is desirable
- Knowledge of programming and scripting for automated GIS process design, software development, software testing, software documentation, web service development is desirable
- Knowledge of cartographic design principles and tools for on-demand map production is desirable
- Excellent oral and written use of the English language
- Attention to detail and strong sense of responsibility
- Organised and self-driven
- Creatively solve problems, think critically and present solutions in a clear and logical manner
- Proactive approach to communicating and sharing knowledge
- Proactively manage own tasks and projects to agreed deadlines
- Ability to work effectively & efficiently with various diverse work teams
- Customer centric mindset
- Energy and enthusiasm
- Time management skills
What we offer to you…
- Opportunity to work in some of the largest GIS projects of the European Commission
- The chance to continuously evolve as a professional, coupled with a variety of training opportunities
- Relevant career opportunities to get you where you want to be, with the technical knowledge you need
- Continuous development opportunities – because we want you to thrive
- Sword Services Greece wants you to have a balance between work and private life by offering flexible hours, days of home working, and an informal no-nonsense environment
- Competitive remuneration package
- Benefits include ticket restaurant vouchers, personal insurance package, company car, etc.
Applications must be in the English language