Are you ready for the next step in your career? Do you want a role where your GIS expertise is truly recognised and you get to take on real responsibility?
Sword Services Greece S.A. (Athens) is looking for a Junior
GIS Consultant! You have an amazing opportunity to work in a multinational fast-paced environment, in an IT company, offering services to most of the European Commission Institutions and European Agencies through multi-year contracts.
You will have the chance to join the newly established GIS team in Athens, to work closely with other competent GIS professionals from other countries and to contribute with your knowledge and experience in the implementation of highly visible and critical GIS projects of the European Union.
You need to have a demonstrated track record of creating high quality cartographic outputs and undertaking spatial analysis through relevant workplace experience.
What you will do...
- Geospatial data management : creating, collecting, updating, upgrading and enriching geospatial datasets as well as processing these data with dedicated IT tools. Capture, define and formalise new geospatial datasets. Check them against target specifications. Implement transformation and data cleansing processes. Compare and integrate various data sources to meet the requirements of the target product. Develop semi or fully automated processes, from data retrieval to dissemination to end users. Create documentation for both processes and products, including data structures as UML class diagrams and information on quality elements.
- Cartography and geospatial data visualisation : creation of maps and all derived visualisations related to the spatial dimension and spatial relations between entities. Specification of the visualisation purpose, identification of relevant input data, transformation of input data (filtering, projection, clipping, generalisation, format change, integration, etc.). Selection and implementation of relevant cartographic design techniques. Implementation of cartographic products that cover communication and data exploration processes with the production of interactive on-demand mapping tools. Production of web maps. Design and deployment of web map services following standard practices and tools in web mapping. Design of cartographic styles according to design rules.
- Oral and written communication : drafting inventories of user requirements, technical specifications and other technical reports, papers and presentations, public speaking for training or user support, internal and external meetings and workshops.
What is your education and experience...
- University degree in Science, Geography, Cartography, Information Technology, Engineering or related subject
- Professional experience (min 2 years) related to Geographical Information Science, acquired during the last 10 years
- Knowledge of geospatial data analysis and data transformation
- Good knowledge of data processing with ArcGIS and Cartography
- Basic Geo-processing and Python scripting for ArcGIS
- Basic knowledge of ArcGIS Server and geodatabase administration
- Basic knowledge of some programming languages (e.g. Python, C++, JAVA)
- Knowledge of OpenSource GIS products is desirable
- Excellent communication skills in English (written and verbally)
- Organised and self-driven
- Attention to detail and strong sense of responsibility
- Proactively manage own tasks and projects to agreed deadlines
- Ability to work effectively & efficiently with various diverse work teams
- Energy and enthusiasm
- Time management skills
What we offer to you…
- Opportunity to work in some of the largest GIS projects of the European Commission
- The chance to continuously evolve as a professional, coupled with a variety of training opportunities
- Relevant career opportunities to get you where you want to be, with the technical knowledge you need
- Continuous development opportunities – because we want you to thrive
- Sword Services Greece wants you to have a balance between work and private life by offering flexible hours, days of home working, and an informal no-nonsense environment
- Competitive remuneration package
- Benefits include ticket restaurant vouchers, personal insurance package, company car, etc.
Applications must be in the English language